7 Things I learned during my First 7 days in Switzerland


WHO Lobby

Switzerland is a country with very rich history, and through my studies I have come to think of it as the most well-organized country in the world. In the school system, students learn to speak three or more languages (French, German, English, etc.) fluently. Their healthcare system is arguably the most successful on the planet. It is the home of the world’s most powerful international organization – the United Nations. The geography consists of some of the best mountains for hiking, skiing, and snowboarding, as well as some of the best farms for wine, grapes, and cheese.

I was given the opportunity to intern in Geneva, Switzerland at the World Health Organization through the Duke Program on Global Policy and Governance and the Duke Global Health Institute. There is so much more that I have to say about Geneva, but I’ve only been here for a week, so I would like to talk about a few things that have really stood out to me so far.

7. Pizza is something to eat with a fork and knife


At the bottom of my foyer is a wonderful Italian restaurant, with very good food. I ordered the absolute simplest thing on the menu: Marguerite pizza, which is, for all intents and purposes, a cheese pizza. If you are looking for the best pizza in the world, I would recommend this to a friend. So I can eat pizza with a fork and knife. IT WAS AMAZING. I never imagined that is a standard, don't-feel-like-moving-from-this-spot-so-lets-order-delivery dish could be so refined. Long story short, I made it about halfway through before.

6. Groceries are Expensive


It's all in the title, but the best example is the cheese. From afar, you’ll notice the word ‘Migros’ written all over it. This is your standard grocery store where everyone shops. However, as this is a land which prides themselves on cheese, all the cheese in this store comes in block form, and has names like Schmelzakäsezubereitung. There are no Kraft singles, or any of the other sliced cheeses that come in the typical US supermarket. So, a closer look at my cheese, and you’ll notice that the only word written in English is ‘Budget’. Yes, this came in ready-made slices, and yes this was the absolute cheapest option for someone who is balling on a budget.

Cheap Cheese


5. There’s no going back from this office view



Wow. Sitting at a desk for 8-9 hours daily is not the most exhilarating proposal for a job concept, but my workspace has an amazing view of the city. The picture does not do it complete justice, but with the windows open, the breeze flowing in, the view of the trees in the foreground, and the mountaintops in the background, I cannot get enough of it.

Views from the WHO

4.Public bathrooms are a privilege


Apparently, people pay for bathrooms here. In a unique, vending machine-like system, there are boxes strategically placed throughout the city where people can pay 1 Franc to access the toilet. These Wash Closets are infinitely cleaner than your typical American Port-A-Potty, and have the look of conspicuously located elevators. 

Fancy Public Bathroom

3. Hiking isn’t for everyone


I hiked Mount Salève, which is right on the border of France and Switzerland. When my friends and I arrived, we found out that the standard, run-of-the-mill, family trail is currently closed because there was a rock slide. So, instead, we took the advanced trail. Remember when Spongebob went with sandy for a bike ride through the park, but she took him to the ‘industrial park’? Yeah, it was like that. I clung for safety for about 30 percent of the way, but I made it to the top after a 2-hour hike. Once we arrived, it was breathtaking: On one side, the view of the city: Lake Geneva, Jet D’eau, and all of the green landscape; On the other side, the view of the Swiss Alps: snow-capped even with summer approaching, lying majestically in the distance.

Jet D'Eau and Geneva


Swiss Alps

2. They really weren’t kidding about all the wine and cheese



Before coming here, I heard a lot about how important wine and cheese will be for all social settings. Wine is the one thing that is extremely cheap here: 3-4 Francs for Italian and French wines, typically a bit more for Swiss wines. This past weekend was the 30th Annual Caves Ouvertes "Open Cellars", a festival in which all of the wineries across Geneva have bottomless wine for everyone. People came from all over the metropolitan area, some in extravagant costumes, but all to spend an entire day drinking wine and eating cheese and bread. 

A Wine Glass with ominous clouds behind it

1. "If Au revoir counts as two words, I know a total of four french words" 

- Kevin Ramseur II



Just like any country, it is so important to speak the language. Soon after arriving, I realized that the extent of my French knowledge was Level 1 of duolingo, and the chorus to ‘Lady Marmalade’. I have continued to practice and learn as I go, but I underestimated the difficulty of communicating with the people here, as well as my ability to pick-up on a new language. So far, I have managed to scrape buy with the help of a network of confused interns, ton of friendly French-Canadians, and the understanding attitudes of the local people. 

I know being here is only temporary, but this is surely a life that I could get used to. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Life

A Summer with the Global Guardian of Public Health

Cape Town - From the eyes of an outsider